I’ve been wanting to try out some cornbread for awhile because I love it, but I’ve never made it before! The Jalapeno Peach sausage is a little sweet and a little spicy, so I thought it would go great with cornbread.
Cheddar Cornbread with Jalapeno Peach Sausage
- 2 cups of self-rising cornmeal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup Bisquick (you could just use 2 cups of flour total and 2 tsp of baking powder)
- 2 tsp sugar
- black pepper (as much as you want)
- cayenne pepper (as much as you want) or Hungarian Paprika (the hot one)
- 1.5 tsp of salt
- 2 cups (or more!) of cheddar cheese
- 1 and 1/4 cups of water
- 2 eggs
- Jalapeno Peach Sausage (one or two pounds. Whatever you think)
Cut the sausage out of the casing. Brown until there is no pink showing. Set aside to drain on a paper towel.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Spray a cast iron skillet with cooking spray (or use butter or the grease from the sausage). Spread an even layer of the cornbread mixture into the bottom of the skillet.
Dump in the sausage over top the mixture. Add the rest of the cornbread mixture, and spread evenly. It’s ok if it’s not perfect. It’ll spread out a bit during baking.
Bake for about 30-35 minutes until golden and crispy at the edges. If you want to check to see if it’s really done, stick a toothpick in the middle. If it comes out clean, it’s done!